Meal Notes - 20140629
Sunday, 29 June 2014
I was originally going to cook the sirloins for the both of us but I decided to invite some friends for dinner. Four adults and two children, which meant I needed something more. I pulled two chicken breasts out of the freezer. I was going to attempt the bourbon and apricot glaze we saw on LPB today on Barbecue University, but at the last minute realized we didn't have apricot glaze. I ran out of time trying to figure out something new with what I had available and decided to give "third times a charm" a try with things I've cooked the last few weeks.
Sorry... no picture of tonight's meal.
- Chicken with Maple Bourbon Glaze
- Petite Sirloin with Bourbon Reduction
- Lemon Fried Cauliflower
- Brandied Leeks
- I just salted and peppered the chicken this time (no dredging in flower). The chicken breasts used were huge, so I did 10 minutes per side on low instead of removing from heat for the last 10 minutes. They were done to perfection and yummy! They were cut into sections and glazed.
- Added a little more cayenne pepper and some white pepper to the maple bourbon glaze... didn't really notice a difference. I still want to get a heat element into this sauce!
- This was the third time I've attempted the bourbon reduction and the first time I actually had all the proper ingredients! It was great! The cream helps cut down the salt like I was hoping it would.
- The lemon fried cauliflower was an experiment. Chopped up a whole head of cauliflower, pan fried in olive oil and a little butter (and sea salt) for 8-10 minutes, adding about 2 lemons worth of lemon juice half way through.
- I was surpised how much I loved the leeks, not because of the leeks themselves but because of the brandy! I enjoyed them just as much as I did the asparagus the other day.
- Bourbon was Knob Creek Kentycky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
- Brandy was Remy Martin VSOP Cognac.
Source recipes for tonight's dinner